Self-care in itself is often essential for us to keep up with ourselves. We see a lot of posts and lists of ideas – I have posted about it in the past too – but we don’t often see the very bare basics that we should be doing that also count as self-care. I’m not sure if it’s because we just don’t think of them or not, but they’re still important.
When I think of self-care, I often imagine having a long soak in the bath or giving myself a pedicure or manicure. They are things I wouldn’t normally do on any kind of regular basis, but I do them in the name of looking after myself. But what about all the other more basic forms of self-care?
Related: Self-care for your feet
Self-care isn’t always all the frilly bits and “treat yourself” attitude. Self-care can often be just getting out of bed, changing your clothes, or having a shower. I know I’m not the only one who struggles to perform basic hygiene on bad days, and I certainly won’t be the last.
Here I have put together a list of simple things you can do to do a little bit of self-care, even on bad days. You don’t need to do all of them. Even if you just do one of these things it’s an accomplishment and you should celebrate it!
The Essentials of Self Care List
- Wash your face, even if it’s just a flannel and water.
- Eat a piece of fruit.
- Drink some water.
- Change your clothes or pyjamas.
- Do a 5 minute tidy in your bedroom or where you are in the house.
- Change your bed sheets.
- Take your socks or shoes off, let your feet breathe.
- Wash your hair.
- Eat a meal.
- Open a window and let fresh air in.
- Open the curtains, let the sunlight in.
- Clear out old texts, DMs and PMs from your phone and social media.
- Listen to calming music – personally, I find classical piano helps.
- Have a shower.
- Do the washing up – even if it’s just half of it.
- Throw out any old and out-of-date makeup.
- Go outside for a few minutes, if not longer.
- Allow yourself to stop whatever you’re doing, and just be.
- Do things with intention and purpose, don’t feel you need to multitask.
- Forgive yourself if you don’t manage to do everything you wanted to, whatever the reason.
Sometimes in the midst of a busy day, week, or even month, we lose track of doing even the most basic and essential self-care. The biggest form of personal care is remembering to give yourself time to do these things. That’s hard to do in a world where being so busy we barely have time to eat is seen as a good thing.
You certainly don’t have to do everything on the list in one go. Even just doing one of these things can help, and make sure you get at least one “productive” thing done always makes me feel better.
If you can, simplify your day. Slow down your life. Maybe take a minimalist approach to certain aspects of your life, if not all. Try to make time for you, yourself, and the things you love.